Greek philosopher Epictetus said, “Know first who you are and then adorn yourself accordingly.” This statement has never been truer than when choosing the right suit, shoes and of course the right fashion accessory to pull it all together. For men that fashion accessory is cufflinks; they are both fashionable and functional pieces for any man’s wardrobe. However, they are more than just a fashion accessory; a pair of cufflinks can really tell the world who you are. We’ve previously discussed, “Why Men Should Wear Cufflinks,” and today we will discuss how to choose the right pair of cufflinks for your personality. Continue reading →
Fashion and style have always been associated with women, but now it’s becoming more common for the average man to be fashion conscious, too. Men are changing their attitude toward their clothing choices and it shows; many men are now swapping out their basketball shorts and t-shirts for khakis and bow ties. There will always be a time and place for casual attire, however, it’s no longer appropriate for every circumstance. It’s important for men to look great for every occasion and the best way of doing that is to develop their own style. Here are a few tips to help him create a fashionable style.
1. Listen To The Experts – If you’re having trouble figuring out your style, a good place to start is to take advice from the experts. Too many men rely on their mothers, girlfriends or wives to tell them what looks good, leaving them with no sense of style on their own. Instead, men end up adopting the style their significant other or family member wants them to have. In order to really develop your own look, listen to the experts. Pick up a copy of a men’s fashion magazine like GQ or check out a blog such as MaleStandard.com for ideas and tips. After reading a few articles and checking out the photos you’ll be able to see which looks you may want to try out.
2. Keep It Simple – You want a wardrobe that looks great on you but isn’t over done. Don’t dress like a rock star just because that’s what’s trending at the moment. If you want the flashy look, think simpler but stylish. Try sporting a black striped dress shirt with a white blazer, dark jeans, a unique belt and a pair of stylish shoes. Also, don’t overdo it with jewelry or accessories. Remember less is more; try a flashy watch but nothing else.
3. Simple Doesn’t Mean Boring – There’s a reason black and white paired together is classic; they are simple colors but they make a perfect contrast to each other. Try combining the two with a few textures to liven it up. Consider pairing a white shirt, black tie, tweed hunting jacket and jeans together for a casual look.
4. Mix It Up – One of the things that make iconic fashion designer Ralph Lauren’s style classic yet modern is his ability to mix and match patterns and textures. Don’t be afraid to play with your style. Try pairing a check vest with a stripped dress shirt and even add an animal tie. Just be sure you’re using colors that mesh well together.
5. Don’t Shop Alone – We all know women love to shop in groups; it gives them time to bond and help each other pick out the “right” outfit. Men, however, tend to shop alone. Shopping by yourself could put you at a disadvantage because, while it may seem easier, shopping alone as a man makes you a prime target for a sales people. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if they really feel an outfit suits you or if they’re just saying that to get you to buy the piece so they can make a good commission.
Finally, the best way to find your own fashion style is to experiment with clothes. You need to think outside of your comfort zone and try different types of outfits on to see what might look good on you. So many men are afraid to express themselves through fashion and it holds them back. The truth is once you start trying on different options, you’ll see it’s not only fun, but it could attract that special girl you’ve had your eye on!
CLEVERFIT is the world’s first precision fit adjustable collar stay. It’s unique patent pending design provides an innovative solution to end decades of frustration. Click here to contact us and check out our video to more about CLEVERFIT.
Photo Credit: The Smart Stylist